Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mark McCarthy's Fluidzone Interview



Mark McCarthy has been storming the world tour in 2011. Another saffa grabbing big waves by the balls, Mac has taken the time to share some words and fill us in on what's happening in the world of "Our boetie"

Interview by Doc, Photos courtesy Spex.



FZ: You and fellow Saffa Jared Houston are cranking on the world tour at the moment. South African riders have a big history of going hard in the big waves. Why do you think you and your countrymen have this ability?

MM: I just think that the level of the top bodyboarders is really high and to keep up to the pace of it all you have to push yourself to your full ability. It seems to be working for Jared and myself... But it's nice to know that we patrial the history of going hard in big waves.

FZ: We've got a lot of young new crew to BB here in Oz. can you give us a quick rundown on your comp and riding history to bring them up to speed on how damn experienced you are bru, including finishing in the top 10 of the IBA world tour the last five years in a row.

MM: Thanks Doc for the kind words, It all started in Hawaii at the end of 2006 when I when over for my first season. Prior to going over I had not been bodyboarding much for 2 years as my main focus was location assisting in the film industry. I went over to Maui and entered my first event which was the Ledgers Pro and ended up getting 2nd to Mike Stewart in the Final. That pretty much kicks off a spark in my drive to become a Pro bodyboarder. I then entered the Shark Island trials and make it to the main event where I got 2nd to Ben Player. I got a 10 and 9.5 in that final but Ben was on fire in that final and got a 10 and 9.8. That year I finished 4th on the tour that year. I won my first event the next year at the Ferrol Pro in Spain and have been addicted to
the feeling of victory ever since! Last year going into the last event on the tour I was lying in 18 and needed a good result to qualify for that Grand Slam Tour and ended up winning my first Grand Slam event and finish 9th last year! Every year has its challenges and you will be so surprised on how much you learn at every event! This year I am more focused than ever and having Jared on tour really pushes me so I am really stoked to finally have another Saffa on tour. Let's hope we can take that World Title back to South Africa ?

Your home mag Sixty40 is going from print to digital. Sixty40 has always been a great read with Kelly, Gareth , Sampi, Damo and the boyz doing a mega job. Where can folks catch the next online issue if they want to catch up on the Saffa scene?

MM: Yes they are doing a great job at 6040 and it always good working with them to push the sport back home. I am not too sure when they next issue will be released but I am sure it will be soon. There is also another Saffa bodyboarding site call www.keiki.co.za and they are also pushing the sport back at home.


Dessie at Emerald has taken onto their team along with fellow Saffas Wattsy and Jerry (Mark Watts and Jared Houston). How would you describe the riding ability and style of these two lads?

MM: They both have amazing talent and a great future in the sport. Jerry was built up on riding the cold waters of Cape Town where the waves pump all year round. Watts is from the warm waters of Durban where that was is not that great but very consistent. One thing is that they both have the same habit of charging, going big and both have the talent to go all the way.

We all had a good feed after the Viking prem. You're not a huge bloke but you sure do eat a lot (Parallelled only by ‘Ribs Roscoe'). Do you have a diet and exercise regime you follow coming up to big comps?

MM: What you mean a small bloke???hahah No I don't slow down when it comes to eating mate. I don't eat too much junk food and don't find a need to starve myself when I am hungry! When it's time to eat I do a proper job of it and try to eat everything in proportion. It also helps to have a good metabolism so I don't pick up the weight.

Arica is a mean bitch of a wave, the locals carrying scars up their ribcages. How did you find the comp there?

MM: I think we could not have asked for better waves than what we got! It's always very intimidating out there. The hardest part of it all is choosing the right wave that holds up enough for you to get barrels or lunch off.

How powerful does that wave feel when you're deep in the barrel?

MM: It's not too bad when you in the barrels, it's actually the safest place to be at El gringo. It's the rocks that you get washed up on which is the problem. But this wave has lots of power and its really challenging to land moves out there! I think if this wave did not have that barnacle infected reef that runs dry, then I would be just the best waves in the world!!

There is a new comp organised in South Africa by Simon Heale called the TAND comp (Readers, if you haven't heard of it see http://www.fluidzone.com/news/1638-tand-comp ). The selection has come off a public voting criteria, can you explain how that worked?

MM: It's not the best way of choosing but I really think it has worked this time as the best riders have made the cut for the top 16! Not never easy as you can never please everyone. I just think it's a cool concept to get the public involved.

I can remember when we couldn't even write the name TAND, never mind see you guys have a comp there. What has changed?

MM: Well Tant has been exposed in mags and all over the web so it's no longer a secret. It's a great time to utilize this incredible wave to showcase SA boarding to the world!!! SA bodyboarding needs these kinds of events to put us on the map. We do have a SA tour but most of the events are in averaged beach breaks so to have an invitational event at one of the best ledges is just want is needed!


Can you describe TAND as a bodyboarding wave for the many of us who have only seen stills and never ridden it?

MM: If I have to compare it to any wave I would say the Box. It has so much to offer! There is a real tech barrel with a perfect ramp always awaits you on the exit.

What are your aspirations for the rest of 2011?

MM: Well my main goal and focus is the IBA tour so I am putting all my energy into that right now! I want to stay in the race for the title! I am currently lying in 3rd and tend to stay up there! Besides the tour I hope to go up the west coast again to just get away for a bit. It's always good breaking away from the competitive side of bodyboarding and pushing yourself in other disciplines.


You handle your twitter account well, @yourboetie , mostly posts relevant to boog, not too many, but informative too. How are you finding social media as a communication base to crew following you as a Pro rider?

MM: Well I try to post as much as I can, I do get lazy at times but I do try keep it fresh. I do a blog and you can also see what I have been up to on www.followyourboetie.com

Lizzard clothing sponsor you too. We don't hear much of them out here - are they a Saffa BB clothing brand?

MM: They are a Saffa brand and have been around for since 1991. They started out as a core bodyboarding brand but have moved over to surfing and other sports too. They are also based up on the gold coast now...

Thanks for your time Mac! There is some big news coming with Mark, so it won't be long before you're hearing from this boetie again...........

For more pics and heaps of other interesting news and pics from around the bodyboarding world, make sure you check www.fluidzone.com!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment